The World Press Photo Contest
The annual photo contest rewards photographers for the best single exposure pictures contributing to the past year of visual journalism.
Whether entered as singles or stories, these pictures are judged in terms of their accurate, fair, and visually compelling insights about our world.
The contest is organized into categories, and judged by a jury comprising leading photojournalism professionals. The membership of the jury changes every year, and is led by a chair and supported by a secretary who implements the rigorous judging procedures. The jury, chair, and secretary are independent of the World Press Photo Foundation. The staff, board, and partners of the World Press Photo Foundation cannot direct the jury’s decisions.
- October/November: Details about the contest, as well as the jury members' names, are announced.
- December: The contest website opens for entries.
- January: The contest website closes for entries and judging begins at the end of the month.
- February: Winners are announced on 18 February 2016.
- April: All winners are invited to the annual Awards Days, a networking event and celebration of the prizewinners, which takes place in Amsterdam at the end of the month.
The prize-winning photographs are assembled into an exhibition that travels to 45 countries and is seen by more than 3.5 million people each year. The winning pictures are also published in the yearbook, which is available in multiple languages, and can be purchased in our store. All award winners are brought to Amsterdam in April to receive their prize during the annual Awards Days, a two-day event featuring photographer presentations, talks by industry leaders, and the Awards Ceremony. Read more about the prizes.
How to enter
For details on how to enter and categories, please follow the links on the right. The new entry rules and code of ethics, as well as information about the judging process and verification process are also now available in the list of links on the right.
Questions can be directed via email to Micha Bruinvels, manager contests, at email@example.com.