The World Press Photo Contest
The annual photo contest rewards photographers for the best single exposure pictures contributing to the past year of visual journalism.
Whether entered as singles or stories, these pictures are judged in terms of their accurate, fair, and visually compelling insights about our world.
The contest is organized into categories, and judged by a jury comprising leading photojournalism professionals. The membership of the jury changes every year, and is led by a chair and supported by a secretary who implements the rigorous judging procedures. The jury, chair, and secretary are independent of the World Press Photo Foundation. The staff, board, and partners of the World Press Photo Foundation cannot direct the jury’s decisions.
- 16 November 2016: Details about the contest, as well as the jury members' names, are announced.
- 1 December 2016: The contest website opens for entries.
- 6 January 2017: Registration for the contest website closes. All entrants must register by this deadline.
- 11 January 2017: The contest website closes for entries and judging begins.
- 13 February 2017: Winners are announced.
- 20-22 April 2017: All winners are invited to the World Press Photo Festival of Visual Journalism in Amsterdam.
The prize-winning photographs are assembled into an exhibition that travels to 45 countries and is seen by more than 4 million people each year. The winning pictures are also published in the yearbook, which is available in multiple languages, and can be purchased in our store. All award winners are brought to Amsterdam in April to receive their prize during the World Press Photo Festival of Visual Journalism, a two-day event featuring photographer presentations, screenings, talks, and the Awards Ceremony. Read more about the prizes.
How to enter
For details on how to enter and categories, please follow the links on the right. The new entry rules and code of ethics, as well as information about the judging process and verification process are also now available in the list of links on the right.
Questions can be directed via email to Micha Bruinvels, Director of Contests, at email@example.com.