Fri, 01/27/2012 - 10:08
The results of the 55th annual World Press Photo Contest will be announced on Friday, 10 February 2012 at 11.00 a.m. (C.E.T.) during a press conference at the Boekmanzaal in the Amsterdam City Hall, Amstel 1. Following the announcement, the photos will be published on this website. The annual Photo Contest is the largest contest in the world for professional press photographers and photojournalists.
2012 Photo Contest Jury
The following recognized professionals in the field of press photography worldwide are judging the entries of the Photo Contest at the World Press Photo office in Amsterdam from 28 January until 9 February 2012. The jury will also attend the press conference at the Amsterdam City Hall on 10 February.
Aidan Sullivan, UK, vice president of photo assignments for Getty Images
• Monica Allende, Spain, photo editor The Sunday Times Magazine
• Koji Aoki, Japan, chief photographer Aflo Sport / Aflo Dite and president Aflo Co., Ltd.
• Patrick Baz, Lebanon/France, photo manager AFP for Middle East
• Nicole Becker, Germany, senior photo editor sport DPA
• Al Bello, USA, chief photographer sport Getty Images for North America
• Daniel Beltrá, Spain, conservation photographer
• Nina Berman, USA, photographer Noor
• Pablo Corral Vega, Ecuador, director Nuestramirada.org
• Manoocher Deghati, France/Iran, regional photo manager AP for Middle East
• Renata Ferri, Italy, photo editor Io Donna – Corriere della Sera and Amica – RCS MediaGroup
• W.M. Hunt, USA, strategist at Dancing B
• Koyo Kouoh, Cameroon, founder and artistic director Raw Material Company
• Dana Lixenberg, the Netherlands, photographer
• Andrei Polikanov, Russia, director of photography Russian Reporter magazine
• Steve Pyke, UK, artist and photographer
• Joel Sartore, USA, contributing photographer National Geographic magazine
• Sophie Stafford, UK, editor BBC Wildlife Magazine
• Ami Vitale, USA, photographer and filmmaker Panos Pictures/ Ripple Effect Images
• Daphné Anglès, France/USA, European photo assignments editor The New York Times
• Stephen Mayes, UK, managing director VII Photo Agency
The jury gives first, second and third prizes in all categories. First prize winners in each category receive a cash prize of €1,500. The premier award, the World Press Photo of the Year, carries a cash prize of €10,000. In addition, Canon will donate a Canon EOS Digital SLR Camera and lens kit to the photographer of the World Press Photo of the Year 2011. The annual Awards Days, a celebration of the prizewinners, takes place in Amsterdam at the end of April.
2012 Multimedia Contest
The winners of the second Multimedia Contest will be announced online on 15 March 2012. The judges will convene in Amsterdam at the beginning of March. The 2012 Multimedia Contest jury is chaired by director Vincent Laforet, France/USA.
World Press Photo receives support from the Dutch Postcode Lottery and is sponsored worldwide by Canon.
Editors please note
A selection of the winning images of the Photo Contest will be available for publication at the press conference and from 11 a.m. (C.E.T.) on 10 February 2012 on the international wire services. It is also possible to download the images from our press download area. Please register at the press download area before 10 February 2012.
World Press Photo organizes the leading international contest in visual journalism. The foundation is committed to supporting and advancing high standards in photojournalism and documentary storytelling worldwide. Its aim is to generate wide public interest in and appreciation for the work of photographers and other visual journalists, and for the free exchange of information. The activities include organizing annual photojournalism and multimedia contests and global exhibition tours. The Academy programs strive to stimulate high-quality visual journalism through educational programs, grants and by creating greater visibility through a variety of publications. World Press Photo is an independent, non-profit organization with its office in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, where it was founded in 1955.
The press department at World Press Photo, or tel. +31(0)20 676 6096.