Wed, 01/30/2013 - 15:50
Winning images to be revealed on 15 February 2013.
Santiago Lyon, vice president and director of photography at The Associated Press, will chair the 2013 World Press Photo Contest jury. He takes over the task from Gary Knight who is unable to join the judging due to bereavement in the family. Lyon's place in the News and Documentary jury during the first round of judging will be filled by Jocelyn Bain Hogg, UK, photographer VII Photo Agency.
Michiel Munneke, managing director World Press Photo commented: "I am thankful that such experienced and valued people are part of the World Press Photo network and that they are eager to commit on such short notice. I am confident that the jury is in capable hands with Santiago Lyon at the head."
The winners of the 56th annual World Press Photo Contest will be announced on Friday 15 February 2013 at 11.00 a.m. (CET). Following the announcement, the awarded photos will be published on this website. The annual photo contest is the leading contest in the world for professional press photographers and documentary photographers.
2013 Photo Contest Jury
The following recognized professionals in the field will judge the entered images at the World Press Photo office in Amsterdam from 2 February until 14 February 2013.
• Santiago Lyon, USA, vice president and director of photography The Associated Press
• Ghaith Abdul-Ahad, Iraq, special correspondent The Guardian
• Monica Allende, Spain, photo editor The Sunday Times Magazine
• Jocelyn Bain Hogg, UK, photographer VII Photo Agency
• Elisabeth Biondi, Germany/USA, independent curator
• Jérôme Bonnet, France, photographer
• Véronique de Viguerie, France, photographer Reportage by Getty Images
• Rena Effendi, Azerbaijan, photographer
• Bill Frakes, USA, photographer Sports Illustrated
• Mayu Mohanna, Peru, photographer and curator
• Riason Naidoo, South Africa, director South African National Gallery, Iziko Museums of South Africa
• Anja Niedringhaus, Germany, photographer The Associated Press
• Platon, UK, photographer CLM/David Maloney
• Pim Ras, the Netherlands, freelance photographer Algemeen Dagblad
• Barbara Stauss, Switzerland, photo director and founding member Mare magazine
• Staffan Widstrand, Sweden, photographer and managing director Wild Wonders of Europe
• Anne Wilkes Tucker, USA, curator photography Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
• Steve Winter, USA, contributing photographer National Geographic magazine
• Gu Zheng, China, professor at School of Journalism, Fudan University, Shanghai
The jury gives first, second and third prizes in all categories. First prize winners in each category receive a cash prize of €1,500. Winners of second and third prizes, and those received an Honorable Mention, receive a Golden Eye Award and a diploma. The premier award, the World Press Photo of the Year, carries a cash prize of €10,000. In addition, Canon will donate a professional DSLR camera and lens kit to the photographer of the World Press Photo of the Year 2012. The annual Awards Days, a celebration of the prizewinners, takes place in Amsterdam from 25 through 27 April 2013.
The prize-winning pictures are presented in an exhibition that travels through more than 100 cities in over 45 countries, a tour that begins in Amsterdam on 26 April 2013.
The multimedia contest is set up separately from the annual photojournalism contest: different rules of entry apply, and the entries are judged by different teams of jury members. The winner of the 3rd Multimedia Contest will be announced on 1 February 2013.
World Press Photo receives support from the Dutch Postcode Lottery and is sponsored worldwide by Canon.
Editors please note:
A press conference will take place at the World Press Photo office in Amsterdam, Friday 15 February 2013 at 10.00 a.m. CET – all information provided will be under embargo. To attend, please RSVP to , by 13 February 2013 latest.
A selection of winning images from the Photo Contest will be available for publication at the press conference and from 11 a.m. (CET) on 15 February 2013 on the international wire services. It is also possible to download the images from our press download area at www.worldpressphoto.org/downloads. Please register at the press download area before 14 February 2013.
Please contact Ms. Barbara Bufkens on or tel: +31 (0)20 676 6096, for additional information and requests for interviews with jury members.
World Press Photo organizes the leading international contest in visual journalism. The foundation is committed to supporting and advancing high standards in photojournalism and documentary storytelling worldwide. Its aim is to generate wide public interest in and appreciation for the work of photographers and other visual journalists, and for the free exchange of information. The activities include organizing annual photojournalism and multimedia contests and global exhibition tours. The Academy programs strive to stimulate high-quality visual journalism through educational programs, grants and by creating greater visibility through a variety of publications. World Press Photo is an independent, non-profit organization with its office in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, where it was founded in 1955.
The press department at World Press Photo, or tel. +31(0)20 676 6096.