For the 17th Joop Swart Masterclass, each of the 12 participants produced a photo essay on the 2010 theme, Persistence. An edit of these essays has been published in a hardcover photo book entitled Persistence, which shares the context of each story and the photographer's ideas and approach.
The multifaceted theme stimulated an array of reactions and interpretations. At times, persistence was evident in the approach of the photographers to gain access to subjects. In some cases, persistence was demanded to endure working and exploring the story visually. For some, persistence was an invitation to delve into their own lives and explore existential issues.
The result was a rich range of images. From film with multiple exposures to digital color, from abstract, dreamlike storytelling to hard-edged documentary narrative, Persistence presents a variety of styles, interpretation and insight.
The following twelve photographers are included in the book with these stories:
• Lurdes R. Basoli (Spain), The Garden
• Maisie Crow (USA), This is Today until Tomorrow
• Giulio Di Sturco (Italy), Liberia: Women's Land
• Sarah Elliott (USA), Poor Choices
• Adam Ferguson (Australia), Afghanistan: America at War
• Andrea Gjestvang (Norway), Everybody Knows this is Nowhere
• Lissette Lemus (El Salvador), The Long Road
• Justin Maxon (USA), Slow Down...Breathe...Only this Life
• Dominic Nahr (Switzerland), Pwani Kwa Bahari
• Saiful Huq Omi (Bangladesh), The Disowned and the Denied
• Ed Ou (Canada/Taiwan), Dancing with the Dead
• Alvaro Ybarra Zavala (Spain), Kudera
Available in English.